Sunday, September 12, 2010

StudioScapes: Chapter 1


Welcome to the fourth edition of The Pulse -- The State of the Art -- a survey in words and pictures of the online artist community. Nearly 150 artists have answered a list of questions which make up The Pulse. Their responses will be presented as a series of online and print projects. Links to the first two projects, Secret Sunday and The Book Guild, can be found on the sidebar of my blog.


StudioScapes is the third project and Chapter 1 starts right now! All artists participating in The Pulse were asked to submit a photograph of a favorite art-related vignette from their home or studio.
_______________



A peek at a shelf in my studio. The vintage books are to alter, not to read -- just wanted to note that since one is The Bobbsey Twins and another is a weird Freemason Meeting Guidebook.
_______________



This photo is of my work space where I make jewelry and accessories.
_______________



My vignette is actually my desk which is nestled into the closet of my studio, complete with drying shelves and a corkboard of inspiration (including a constantly changing gallery of inspiration ~ currently a photo of Georgia O'Keeffe, bunny drawing by my nine-year-old daughter, a Cathy Cullis poetry bracelet, a Connie Geerts digital painting, gesso recipe, etc.)
_______________



The picture I chose is of a wall in my studio. Some people find it too "busy"; but I prefer it that way. It's a lot of my favorite things, sentimental memories and just inspiring things that I like to tape up there.
_______________



When friends spend the night in my guest bedroom, they are treated to some fun books on their nightstand. These are a few of my altered books that my honored guests are treated to.
_______________



I have always had a large piece of old coffee table glass covering my desk area. Rather than use an inspiration board, I have always slid cards and bits under the desk glass. My latest glass collection is of my own images, created over the last year, for the various art challenges on-line. Because my desk is in front of a 6 ft. window, the reflection of the sky and apple tree outside create an interesting effect.
_______________



A glimpse inside part of my studio supply cabinet.
_______________



This is my vintage school collection. I have an old student desk and school lockers where I store art supplies and lots and lots of old school memorabilia including a round robin "School Days" altered book. When I moved into my studio I had the intention of giving homage to the "Life is the school and love is the lesson" philosophy.
_______________



My work area (just one part of it) in our garage. I try to spread out everywhere I can.
_______________



My makeshift art space.

No comments:

Post a Comment