Thursday, June 24, 2010

Handy Man



I have been asked a number of times recently to share my source for the hands I am using in my Making Waves series. Back when I was working on my Handbook...




...I began an obsessive search for hands. There is a flea market every Saturday in my neighborhood which I dutifully visited weekly as part of my search. One day I spotted a small, wooden hand that was obviously very old and that was screaming my name. The booth owner said that it was not for sale. The hand had broken off a 19th century religious statue and he was keeping it in the case to remind him to make repairs. I was disappointed until he told me to return the following week as he might have a few more hands at his other booth location.

Well to say I hit the jackpot would be an understatement. Although he did not show at the flea market for the next two weeks, on the third week he reached below his table and pulled out not a few hands but a bag bursting with hands, all of which had broken off of ancient religious statues. I left that day with each and every one.


Kratos
Greek God of Strength


Available for purchase in The Altered Page on Etsy.

Sold. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment